Only half a tattoo

"Only half a tattoo" That is what someone said to me the other day after I rightfully got upset that they hadn't done their part on something.

 This is just one of many put downs that I have heard over the years. I will explain later what that means to me, but first a little introduction.

Me doing nails for a photoshoot "Chained"
 I am Alecia Mounixay, owner of White Koi Nail studio in Wilmington, NC. I am a mother of two, a wife, a competitor, an over achiever, and a dreamer. Best of all I am a nail artist!
There are mixed feelings of techs labeling themselves a nail artist. I feel it's much more fitting because I see nails as little blank canvases at which I can paint, mold, fix and recreate masterpieces. Even taking someone's small bitten nails and making them look elongated and beautiful is a form of art in itself.

 I have been at this game for over 8 years. I say game, because I have seen things that normal people haven't. I have seen so much backstabbing and cutthroat actions from some of the greatest artists. Cheating in the competition arena, because apparently if it's not in the rules, then it's legal. Forget any morally ethical practices from fellow competitors. I will say, though, that when the new rules come out, it will be covered, that is before someone comes out with another way to cheat the system. Granted I have met some honorable people in the arena and no amount of cheating can match their sheer talent and beautiful work that you have to see in person, because it's inspiring!

 I encountered this in my very first competition.

  I had two weeks to get a 3D turn in and never had anyone teach me anything 3D and I even took off work just to finish and get it in on time.

My first ever entry that I lost to second place, my motivator 3D Caribbean sea


Long story short I felt cheated, but because it wasn't in the rules, I had to suck it up. I cried for hours.



My caveman winning design



Someone told me to use that as my motivator, and I did. 


 My first place trophy



I went on to compete and win some thirds, seconds, and a first (which couldn't have come at a more perfect time), top 10 competitor of the year, and team cup, thanks to a wonderful company, Nubar. ( I love their polish line!!)












 When I first started doing nails, I would sit in a corner with a book from Japan and try to mimic what they did in their photos. Not knowing what it said or what kind of tools I needed, I would practice and practice. Clients would come in and ask what I was doing and my coworkers would say things things like "well she's motivated.." I would get yelled at all of the time for making the house smell like a nail salon, because I took my practices home, or I bought more nail stuff (when is too much ever enough??) I had one owner tell me, and I quote, "you aren't shit and your work isn't shit and why are you so proud of your ugly shit?"..and yet it became another motivator.

 I took a trip over to Korea to train one on one with a master, and another nail tech said to me, "why do you waste money going to Korea, when I can teach you pink and white?" I took one look at their 2 part white to one park pink nail, that is borderline duckfeet, (because they were so wide and flat,) said, "because the type of nails I want to do isn't done in these parts" . Plus, using a tip cutter isn't allowed in the competition. Duh.

My diploma from going to Korea for training one on one with Kyunghee Choi


 Now here is the part where 
I explain the half tattoo
My whole being, and salon, and logo and everything is based off the Japanese legend of the koi fish. Those of you who don't know........
It is a story about many koi fish going against the current 
and after all of the others tired and gave up,
 one koi fish made it over the waterfall. 
The gods smiled upon its determination and turned 
it into this beautiful and magnificent dragon.

The white, or platinum, koi fish represents prosperity in business. I have a tattoo of a koi fish swimming up my foot. A koi tattoo going up represents that the person is still going through the struggles of life and when I feel complete, I will finish with the tattoo of the dragon on my back. By her comment, she meant that I will never accomplish what I set out to do.

My first NailPro Competition photo with my zombie who was judge Anita Lime-Sims


But yet I have, I always dreamed to have my own salon, one of quality products and services, and I built it. 6 years ago I said I would be a competitor, I did and I won. I always thought I would be good at doing runway models and I was so blessed that Patricia Yankee chose me (she is one of the people I admire, for she does everything on her own!!) and that was amazing to be a part of.

Me and Patricia Yankee at fashion week


 So there are many times I cried and almost gave up, but even though this story is only partly about nails, maybe this will help other nail tech, and artists alike, understand that you can't give up, if this is your passion. The greatest people never got anywhere from giving up.
Although I have much more to learn and do, and so many more goals to complete, I am still going to learn and work hard to be better and wiser, and hope to get there someday. I love what I do, and to some, I am only a nail tech, but to me, this is the best career I could have chosen!

Alecia Mounixay
ig @thewhitekoi
website www.whitekoinailstudio.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VBP BLOG MASTER CALL TO ACTION: COMMENT BELOW!  When have you swam against the current even when others gave up? What's your experience?

Thanks for your post Alecia!

CONTRIBUTE. LEARN. SUCCEED.
-Dréa aka "The Blog Master"

No comments:

Post a Comment