An Unsuspecting Nail Tech

My whole life it’s been driven into me that I need to be academically inclined and get my Masters, PhD or JD. 
  College wasn’t an option, it was a necessity. 

 My academics were nurtured by my father (the doctor) while my mother was an artistic hippie. I went to college for my bachelor’s degree and ended up with 2 Bachelors and 2 Minors in 4 years from CU Boulder, CO. I was on the fast track to law school and that’s what I assumed was going to be my future.


Things don’t always pan out how you planned. Fresh out of undergrad I was accepted into the University of Denver Sturm College of Law and I thought that was it for me. I was looking at a $250K education and 80 hour work weeks for the rest of my life. 
  My nail tech changed all of that.
I was getting my nails done by a lovely Puerto Rican gal in Denver that was amazing. In casual conversation she mentioned that she had claimed $72K on her taxes and it got me seriously thinking about what I was about to get myself into. While I adore the legal field, a lot of my friends that are practicing attorneys would choose a different path if given the chance to start over. Their hefty student debt and stress have taken a toll on them. I didn’t want to be this statistic.
My plan was to go to nail school the summer before I started my JD program and learn how to do nails so that I could work on the side and make a little cash. What was supposed to be a “side gig” turned into a full-fledged career. 

 My university was kind enough to defer my enrollment a year so that I could figure out what I wanted to do. As I sit here I am writing to you as a nail tech. I abandoned my intentions of law school and embarked on one hell of a journey.

  
In the last 2.5 years I have had a wild ride of nail education, opportunities, travel and new relationships.


  I couldn’t be happier with my choice and I absolutely adore my new found profession. My parents aren’t alive anymore but I believe that the fusion of my straight laced father and my whimsical and artistic mother have catapulted my career in such wonderful ways. I have structure, balance and a whole lot of glitter to top it off! I still get butterflies when I think about my “job”. I’m in a crazy and incredible relationship with my business and my clients that I’ve totally and utterly fallen in love with. I’m so abundantly lucky!

By Rachael Waggoner





------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for your Blog Post Rachael! 
VBP BLOG MASTER CALL TO ACTION: 
COMMENT BELOW!  Did you give up a different career for the Nail Industry? 
What was your start in the industry?

CONTRIBUTE. LEARN. SUCCEED.
-Dréa aka "The Blog Master"


No comments:

Post a Comment