We are our own worst enemy

I was the girl in High School who thought girls/women who got their nails done where "so vain". 


Funny huh?

 So I graduated HS in 1995. A year or so later I was working but had no idea what I was going to do with my life. I just wanted to find something to do, but also didn't want it to be too difficult.

 The guy I was dating, his brothers girlfriend was in the local Jr College Nail Tech Class. When I heard this my first thought was “wow she is an idiot...if she can do that I bet I can.”

 So I went to the college to see when the next class was. It was starting in 2 days and was full!!!!! I had to run all over campus to get heads of departments and teachers to sign paperwork to ok 1 more add.
 So school got going it turned out I had a nack for nails.

 I had to sell my Trombone to be able to get the supplies. I was given a list of the cheapest products on the market to learn on. I thought this was HORRIBLE! That is why I sold my instrument I knew if I was going to learn to do nails I wanted to learn with the best products on the market. I was very blessed that the teachers I had wanted us to be able to work. NOT just pass "state board".

 They brought in educators from all different companies. Well one educator happen to tell the class about a new salon opening up in Houston. It was an all nails salon only. Owned by an Amercian couple who where both business majors (or something like that). A clean, slick, had the 1st autoclave to be used in a salon in Houston, top of the line and clean nail salon! I thought at that moment that I wanted to work in a place like that!

 So 600+ hours later and after I had tested but before I knew if I passed or not I thought where do I go work? I looked at places around town, asked recent graduates and just couldn't find the vision I saw.

  So what if I just applied at that super fancy place???? 

 Oh wow could I do that. Those techs are so good and I am just out of school and didn't even have my license yet how could I do that? Then I remembered a lesson my mother taught me. Short version of story "What is the worse that could happen?"
 They could say, NOOOOOOO!!!!
  That wouldn't kill me."

 So I applied, got the interview and...got the job. I was so freaking scared. It turned out to be the best experience ever. I learned lots about the industry, other techs and myself. I was super blessed to be mentored by one of the other tech’s. If not for her I am not sure I would have kept moving forward. I owe a huge thanks to her.


 As I look back and think of this first job I had in this great industry I see a lesson I think we should all learn: 

We are our own worst enemy. If we allow ourselves to be governed by fear (fear to apply for “the perfect job”) we will go no where. We won’t get anything done or ever move forward. So don’t be afraid, the worst that can happen is you are told “no”. I would rather be told no than never know.

By Geneva Holcomb






------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for your Blog Post Geneva! 
VBP BLOG MASTER CALL TO ACTION: 
COMMENT BELOW!  Have you ever been intimidated by a salon you wanted to work at? 
What was your start in the industry?

CONTRIBUTE. LEARN. SUCCEED.
-Dréa aka "The Blog Master"

1 comment: